Polypropylene Cylinder Brushes
Polypropylene cylinder brushes are suitable for a range of applications from aggressive scrubbing to light dusting, depending on the brush type, filament size, and trim length selected. Cylindrical polypropylene brushes are particularly useful in conditions of high moisture where the maintenance of consistent stiffness is desired. Such applications include water-based part washing, fruit and vegetable washing, and conveyor cleaning brush applications exposed to wash down or environmental conditions.
A polypropylene cylinder brush also offers good chemical resistance to acids, corrosive akalis, and many solvents, with the exception of trichlorethylene hydrocarbons, benzene, carbon tetrachloride, chlorine, and camphor. Polypropylene filaments used in cylinder brushes begin to soften appreciably at 225°F and melt at 330°F, significantly lower than nylon or polyester. Polypropylene brush fill material is available in stock in the following sizes and formats:
|.0180||Crimped||Black or Natural|
|Material Properties||6-6 Nylon||6-12 Nylon||Polyester||Polypropylene|
|Stiffness Modulus Dry||512||450||450||745|
|Stiffness Modulus Wet||160||400||447||700|
|Water Absorption %||9%||3%||0.33%||0.03%|
|Bend Recovery %||90%||90%||90%||75%|
|Softening Point (°F)||250°||250°||250°||240°|
|Melting Point (°F)||495°||410°||482°||330°|
Mounting Options for Polypropylene Cylinder Brushes:
- Shaft: We can manufacture a solid or tubular shaft to your drawings or specifications, or you can supply your own shaft. Shafts may include keyways as required for drive purposes. Polypropylene cylindrical brushes can be welded directly to the shaft or secured by means of metal clips attached to the shaft. Brushes mounted on a shaft are typically refillable as long as the shaft remains in good condition.
- Throw-Away Core: For the convenience of easy replacement, we can assemble the cylinder brush on an economical thin wall tube with end-bushings to be mounted onto the customer’s driven shaft. Rather than maintaining a spare brush on hand and returning the entire worn brush for refill, simply order a new brush and install it in the place of the old brush.
- Refillable Core: For a more economical long term solution, the core can be made from heavier wall tube and can be returned for refill multiple times. The shaft or journals may be an integral part of the core design or may be removable for ease of replacement. Refilling saves the cost of remaking the shaft or core.
- Unmounted Brush Refill: Customers may choose to buy the loose wound brush coil to mount on their own shaft or cores.
- Dynamic Balancing: For cylinder brushes operating at higher speeds, in excess of 350 to 500 revolutions per minute and depending on size and weight considerations, dynamic balancing may be recommended to reduce vibration and improve the consistency of brushing action.
- Crating: Due to weight, size, and other shipping considerations, cylinder brushes over a certain size will be considered for packaging in a wooden crate which may be reused for future refill transportation purposes. This determination is made at the time of brush design, and the cost of the crate is quoted separately.
To learn more about cylinder brush mounting options, contact us.
Contact Spiral Brush for Your Cylindrical Polypropylene Brush Needs
Our engineers and experienced customer service associates work with you to understand the application, the material to be brushed, the desired finish, the operating environment, and the equipment on which your polypropylene cylinder brush will be installed. We will help you to determine the appropriate core, shaft, channel size and brush materials, establish power requirements, a recommended range of operating speed, and determine the need for dynamically balancing the cylinder brush. To learn more about polypropylene cylinder brushes, or to request a quote, contact Spiral Brushes today.