Polyester Cylinder Brushes
Polyester filament is suitable for use in cylinder brushes in some certain environments and applications where neither polypropylene nor nylon make a good fit. Polyester is less stiff than polypropylene and comparable to nylon in dry stiffness modulus, but superior to nylon in wet stiffness due to its lower water absorption rate. Like nylon, polyester offers a higher softening and melting point than polypropylene, and superior memory or bend-recovery. Polyester excels over nylons and polypropylene in high-temperature oxidation resistance, or the tendency to lose physical properties over time at elevated temperatures. Polyester is less expensive than nylons, but more expensive than polypropylene filaments. Polyester is available by special order in FDA-approved for food contact versions.
Polyester cylinder brushes are superior to nylons in resistance to moderate strengths of acids. In contact with certain chemicals, nylon 6.12 offers superior resistance, including: acetone, benzene, ethyl acetate, hydrocarbons, methyl ketones, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, and toluene. Application testing may be recommended, and a detailed chemical compatibility analysis can be performed upon request.
|Material Properties||6-6 Nylon||6-12 Nylon||Polyester||Polypropylene|
|Stiffness Modulus Dry||512||450||450||745|
|Stiffness Modulus Wet||160||400||447||700|
|Water Absorption %||9%||3%||0.33%||0.03%|
|Bend Recovery %||90%||90%||90%||75%|
|Softening Point (°F)||250°||250°||250°||240°|
|Melting Point (°F)||495°||410°||482°||330°|
The following sizes and formats of polyester filament are normally available in stock, but other sizes in a range from .006” to .075” filament diameter can be ordered to suit the application:
|Crimped||Black and Natural||0.014″||0.022″ – 0.024″|
To learn more about polyester cylinder brushes, view our PDF catalog or contact us.
Mounting Options for Polyester Cylinder Brushes
- Shaft: We can manufacture a solid or tubular shaft to your drawings or specifications, or you can supply your own shaft. Shafts may include keyways as required for drive purposes. Cylindrical polyester brushes can be welded directly to the shaft or secured by means of metal clips attached to the shaft. Brushes mounted on a shaft are typically refillable as long as the shaft remains in good condition.
- Throw-Away Core: For the convenience of easy replacement, we can assemble the cylinder brush on an economical thin wall tube with end-bushings to be mounted onto the customer’s driven shaft. Rather than maintaining a spare brush on hand and returning the entire worn brush for refill, simply order a new brush and install it in the place of the old brush.
- Refillable Core: For a more economical long term solution, the core can be made from heavier wall tube and can be returned for refill multiple times. The shaft or journals may be an integral part of the core design or may be removable for ease of replacement. Refilling saves the cost of remaking the shaft or core.
- Unmounted Brush Refill: Customers may choose to buy the loose wound brush coil to mount on their own shaft or cores.
- Dynamic Balancing: For cylinder brushes operating at higher speeds, in excess of 350 to 500 revolutions per minute and depending on size and weight considerations, dynamic balancing may be recommended to reduce vibration and improve the consistency of brushing action.
- Crating: Due to weight, size, and other shipping considerations, cylinder brushes over a certain size will be considered for packaging in a wooden crate which may be reused for future refill transportation purposes. This determination is made at the time of brush design, and the cost of the crate is quoted separately.
To learn more about cylinder brush mounting options, contact us.
Contact Spiral Brush for Your Cylindrical Polyester Brush Needs
Our engineers and experienced customer service associates work with you to understand the application, the material to be brushed, the desired finish, the operating environment, and the equipment on which your polyester cylinder brush will be installed. We will help you to determine the appropriate core, shaft, channel size and brush materials, establish power requirements, a recommended range of operating speed, and determine the need for dynamically balancing the cylinder brush. To learn more about polyester cylinder brushes, or to request a quote, contact Spiral Brushes today.