Abrasive Nylon Cylinder Brushes
Abrasive nylon cylinder brushes are used for cleaning, scrubbing, and surface treatment in applications where an actual abrasive grit is desired as part of the brushing action. Abrasive grit encapsulated into extruded nylon filament enables an abrasive nylon cylinder brush to perform more aggressive cleaning than cylindrical brushes made with other types of nylon. Abrasive nylon as a fill material in cylinder brushes provides you the flexibility and conformability of a brush, while also giving you the benefits of an abrasive. You can select grit size in tandem with the filament diameter to control the aggressiveness of the cleaning action and the stiffness of the filament. Both Nylon 6-6 and Nylong 6-12 are available to suit your application requirements and your budget.
Both Silicon Carbide grit and Aluminum Oxide grit are available, and approximate a 30% loading by weight in the extruded nylon filament. Silicon Carbide is more commonly used because it is harder and sharper than aluminum oxide, and it is preferred for finishing ferrous metals. Aluminum oxide grit is less likely to fracture and is preferred for brushes used to finish softer metals including stainless steel and aluminum, as well as wood and plastics. Aluminum Oxide also eliminates the small risk of contamination of the stainless steel or aluminum surface by free carbon deposits from the silicon carbide.
Mounting Options for Abrasive Nylon Cylinder Brushes:
- Shaft: We can manufacture a solid or tubular shaft to your drawings or specifications, or you can supply your own shaft. Shafts may include keyways as required for drive purposes. Abrasive nylon cylindrical brushes can be welded directly to the shaft or secured by means of metal clips attached to the shaft. Brushes mounted on a shaft are typically refillable as long as the shaft remains in good condition.
- Throw-Away Core: For the convenience of easy replacement, we can assemble the cylinder brush on an economical thin wall tube with end-bushings to be mounted onto the customer’s driven shaft. Rather than maintaining a spare brush on hand and returning the entire worn brush for refill, simply order a new brush and install it in the place of the old brush.
- Refillable Core: For a more economical long term solution, the core can be made from heavier wall tube and can be returned for refill multiple times. The shaft or journals may be an integral part of the core design or may be removable for ease of replacement. Refilling saves the cost of remaking the shaft or core.
- Unmounted Brush Refill: Customers may choose to buy the loose wound brush coil to mount on their own shaft or cores.
- Dynamic Balancing: For cylinder brushes operating at higher speeds, in excess of 350 to 500 revolutions per minute and depending on size and weight considerations, dynamic balancing may be recommended to reduce vibration and improve the consistency of brushing action.
- Crating: Due to weight, size, and other shipping considerations, cylinder brushes over a certain size will be considered for packaging in a wooden crate which may be reused for future refill transportation purposes. This determination is made at the time of brush design, and the cost of the crate is quoted separately.
To learn more about mounting cylinder brush mounting options, contact us.
Contact Spiral Brush for Your Cylindrical Abrasive Nylon Brush Needs
Our engineers and experienced customer service associates work with you to understand the application, the material to be brushed, the desired finish, the operating environment, and the equipment on which your abrasive nylon cylinder brush will be installed. We will help you to determine the appropriate core, shaft, channel size and brush materials, establish power requirements, a recommended range of operating speed, and determine the need for dynamically balancing the cylinder brush. To learn more about abrasive nylon cylinder brushes, or to request a quote, contact Spiral Brushes today.